Sunday, November 22, 2009

Black Friday! Yikes!


I keep hearing about this. Is it plague? An economic crash or its aftershocks? A Mayan Day of Reckoning? It seems to be scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving, so, perhaps it signals nationwide indigestion.


I’m not sure, but I think it’s some kind of shopping extravaganza. This seems so unlike that world. So against the principles (principles?) and public relations of our consumer economy. Shouldn’t it be something like, The First Day of Christmas? Or, Viernes Gigante!? Or, The First Day of the Rest of Your Shopping Life?


Have I grown up? Have I grown old? Have I lost my wallet?


I have purposefully averted my eyes and ears, when the topic is raised. Ignorance of some things can be more than bliss; it may actually be a legitimate defense.


I’ll continue to speculate on the possible meaning of Black Friday. That sounds like a lot more fun than going shopping at the same time as a majority of the population.


For me, Black Friday can be a peaceful day at home. It can be the absence of all shopping. It may sound scary, but it is right in line with that long-held belief – TGIF!

No comments: