Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dog Flu



Today, I read a headline (that’s where I get all my news) that warned against Dog Flu! It’s one thing to get the flu from a pig or even a bird, but now I have to worry about Man’s Best Friend?


Why, Buster? Why? We walk. There are regular treats and snacks. I even let you lie on the couch during the ballgames. All that and, now, this?


Flu, all by itself, is bad enough. There’s fever and the attendant aches that not only make you feel like you’ve been hit by a truck, but the flu fogs your mind so you can’t think straight. Did I turn off the burner after making that tea? Should I be worried about work? And, to the woman with the ring on her finger, who is taking care of you, Do I know you?


And, often, there is the part of the flu that I do not want to mention. Having had both the plain, old, achy flu and the eruptive flu, I can assure you that the latter does not expel the germs or bring about the end of the illness any faster. Once you’ve got it, you’ve got it.


There is no benefit to continuing on as usual. You can’t fool the flu, no matter where you got it. And, you might as well give up that fantasy that your mind protects you from this stuff. Go to bed. Drink plenty of liquids. Take aspirin. Sleep.


There’s no way around it. You are not imagining this. You feel awful. Take a load off.


As we enter this season, I recommend you avoid farms, forget bird watching, and do not kiss or shake hands with your dog or with anyone else’s.


And, dogs, wash those paws often, turn your head when you bark, refrain from going out (unless you absolutely have to), and have some compassion for your best friend. He’s not weird. He’s sick.

No comments: