Sunday, September 21, 2008

Say What?!


I haven’t written lately, because I have wanted to stay away from politics. There are several good reasons for this. However, it’s everywhere. It’s in the air. Heck, it’s on the air. And, it’s on everyone’s mind. You can’t turn around without seeing that look that says, I don’t want to, really, but we better talk about the situation. One can’t avoid the ads, the conventions, the speeches, the conversations, or the media.

From seeing and hearing all this, it seems that most Americans can’t read, can’t distinguish fact from fiction, can’t tell the difference between oratory and rabble rousing, won’t discuss anything in a rational manner, and just about everyone is scared to death. Who can we trust? It seems we can’t trust ourselves or each other. This makes things difficult.

Old ideals are perverted. Hard work, education, and the belief that anyone can grow up to be President is now elitist and, definitely, out of touch. Truth, Justice, and the American Way, have become what works, I’m sorry, and I can’t help you. Not to mention, I don’t know you, I’m busy, and I’m on vacation.

Many of us are opportunistic, racist (though that’s hard to admit), and guided by the justifications of religion. Definitions are fluid. Facts are subject to change and revision. Effort, hope, and responsibility are suspect. Fear gathers momentum.

It seems that there could not be a clearer contrast than this election and its parties and their aspirations, directions, and methods. And yet, at the moment, the obvious is obscured. The candidates are neck and neck. That really is frightening.

We can try to understand each other. We can vote. We can cross our fingers. We can hope. And, despite everything, I know we can change.

No comments: