Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tonight, We Caucus.



Tonight, we caucus. That doesn’t sound very romantic, but if, by romantic, we mean striving against the odds, acting on love, and taking a chance, I think it will be a fine romance.

Things are a bit bleak. You know what I mean. I don’t need to make a list and I don’t want to, because I know it would be longer than I want to imagine and it would just be depressing.

I can’t even vote at this gathering. Being a slow, unorganized, uninformed citizen has its costs. This is a minor one, but I regret that I didn’t declare a party affiliation. I flattered myself by assigning Independent to my name, as if declaring one way or another would seal my fate.

In school auditoriums and in meeting places of all sorts, those of us living in caucus states get to exercise our rights and discuss and, ultimately, endorse a potential candidate for President. It isn’t voting in November, but it could be just as important. And, most importantly, this is something we do as a community.

Yes, it’s politics and that word and activity has connotations that make us crazy, but, by actually participating in this process, we can begin to change all that and combine our energies to move it beyond where it is at the moment.

That’s what I think is romantic about it – we’ll be together and each citizen will have a voice. We won’t be muttering to ourselves as we exit the voting booth; we’ll be talking to each other. Our involvement will make us part of something bigger than we are as individuals. Each of us will be hoping that maybe this someone we endorse will bring us closer to who we want to be as a country. It doesn’t hurt to have a leader, as long as he is someone who supports your freedoms.

Even though I can’t vote tonight (my fault), I can be there, take part, and feel proud and grateful for a process that should never be abandoned. So, let’s get out there and let the caucuses begin!

1 comment:

Carolyn Oakley said...

Hey Ted. Nice one. Let's see your piece about time on here! It's really cool. -Carolyn